Welcome to Madras Flying Club
It was in October 1929 that Mr.G.Vlasto, a Pilot himself, desirous of developing air-mindedness in this part of the country issued a circular calling for a meeting for the purpose of establishing a Flying Club in Madras. The Meeting took place on the 19 November 1929 at the Madras Guards Institute on the Poonamalle High Road, Mr.Chitty presided, W/Cdr.A.Cooper, the then Secretary of the Aero Club of India, addressed the large gathering present on the formation of a new Flying Club at Madras. He emphasized that the Director of Civil Aviation had decided to grant financial and other help by April 1930 if a Club were to be formed here.
As a result of enthusiastic support evinced at the meeting. Mr.Vlasto proceeded with the formation of the Madras Flying Club and applied to the Government of India for the grant of a subsidy. On 4 March 1930, the Club was incorporated. The Government of India was pleased to grant the subsidy in April 1930, and we went ahead with the programme for the commencement of operations as soon as Pilot Instructor arrived in India.
The first Instructional Fight took place on July 21 1930, with F/Lt. H.N. Hawker as the first Pilot Instructor, Mr.M.W. Hulcoop was the first Flight Engineer. The formal inauguration of the Club, however, took place only on th the 20 August 1930, by the first Patron, Sir George Frederick Stanley, the then Governor of Madras. Lady Beatrix Stanely christened the first two aircrafts VCT-ABH and VT-ABI as "Garuda" and "Pushpak" and the Governor was the Patron of the Club.
The Silver Jubilee of the Club was celebrated in October 1955 under the distinguished President ship of the first Prime Minister of Free India. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. The Golden Jubilee of the Flying Club was celebrated in 1980-81 and a Souvenir was brought out for the occasion.
The Platinum Jubilee was celebrated only in the year 2006 at Raj Bhavan, His Excellency the Governor of Tamil Nadu, Shri. Surjit Singh Barnala, issued 1 Day Postal Cover in the presence of the then Hon'ble Union Minister of Communication and IT, Thiru Dayanidhi Maran and the Post Master General. The 80 Anniversary of the Madras Flying Club was celebrated on Saturday 12 September 2009 and a souvenir was brought out for this occasion. Thiru K.N Nehru, Hon'ble Minister of Transport & Thiru M.Subramanian, Worshipful Mayor of Chennai Corporation have participated in the above function.
From the initial days of Flying, the Puss Moth, Tiger Moths and Chip monks and then on to Pushpaks, aircrafts have become more modern and with our recent requisition of the latest Glass cockpit Cessna 172 R, we have a total Feet strength of 6 aircrafts which include, 3 Cessna 152A, 2 Hansa 3 and 1 Cessna 172 R. In recent times, we have also acquired an Iskara Jet Engine from Indian Air force for display and education purpose.
A full fedged Aviation Library is constantly being updated, two Air conditioned class rooms and conference hall with adequate Audio and Visual Equipment is available.
Our record during the last 90 years has been made possible by the contined support of Governments, both at the Centre and at the State level and with the complete co-operation of all concerned Management, Staff and students both flying and engineering, the Club can look forward with confidence to a yet more glorious future.